Ferryhill Station, Ferryhill, County Durham DL17 0DB
Nurture... Inspire... Achieve... Succeed!!!
Our Local Community
Ferryhill Station is a small community in County Durham, in the North East of England. Our local town council, Ferryhill Town Council, covers 870 hectares and includes the areas of Ferryhill Station, East Howle, Metal Bridge, Chilton Lane, Dean Bank, Mainsforth and Ferryhill Village. Ferryhill stands 538 feet above sea level and is built on limestone. It is situated 25 miles south of Newcastle and 12 miles north of Darlington, with a population of over 11,000 inhabitants.
There are several theories regarding the origin of the name Ferryhill. One of these is that the last wild boar of Brancepeth was slayed by Sir Roger de Fery in 1200 AD, near the site of Cleves Cross Farm. There is still a plaque in the Cleves Cross area of Ferryhill to commemorate this. This story was authenticated in 1867, when repairs to the farm at Cleves Cross were carried out. The remains of a pit were found and experts at the time said that this was the pit in which the boar had been trapped, before being slain.
Another story is that Ferryhill took it's name from a ferry (river) which flowed through the limestone gap where the main railway line now runs. There was a ford across the river at Main Ford (now Mainsforth), but further north a ferry crossed between Cleves Cross on the west bank and Swan House on the east. The existence of the village on the hill-top near-by may have given rise to the name Ferryhill.
We are extremely proud of our local community and of the support our school receives.
Click below to visit the website of The Chapter, our local newspaper. This will inform you of the latest developments in our community.